Tiếng Anh là môn học và không thể thiếu trong các kỳ thi THPT Quốc gia. Sau đây là 100 thành ngữ thường được sử dụng, thí sinh cần nắm rõ để đạt kết quả cao.
- Cao đẳng Dược Hà Nội tuyển sinh năm 2017.
- Những vật dụng gì được mang vào kì thi THPT quốc gia
- Mẹo ôn thi Đại học 2017 cấp tốc với thời gian 6 tháng
- Phương pháp học hiệu quả ôn được nhiều kiến thức lớn
- CHALK AND CHEESE: very different from each other (rất khác nhau)
Ex:–> I don’t have anything in common with my brother. We’re like chalk and cheese.
- A HOT POTATO: something that is difficulut or dangerous to deal with ( vấn đề nan giải )
Ex:–> The abortion issue is a hot potato in the US
- AT THE DROP OF A HAT: immediately, instantly ( Ngay lập tức)
Ex:–> If you need me, just call me. I can come at the drop of a hat.
- BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD: time to start from the beginning; it is time to to plan something over again (bắt đầu lại)
Ex:–> My plans to create a tiny car made of glasses were unsuccessful, so I guess it’s back to the drawing board for me.
- RAINING CATS AND DOGS: rain heavily (Mưa nặng hạt)
Ex:–> It’s raining cats and dogs = It’s raining heavily
- BEAT ABOUT THE BUSH: avoiding the main topic, not speaking directly about the issue (nói vòng vo, lạc đề)
Ex:–> Stop beating about the bush and answer my question.
- BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD: a good invention or innovation, a good idea or plan
Ex:–> Portable phones are marketed as the best thing since sliced bread; people think they are extremely good.
- HERE AND THERE: everywhere
Ex:–> I have been searching here and there for the gift I bought for my girlfriend.
- BURN THE MIDNIGHT OIL: to stay up working, especially studying late at night (thức khuya làm việc, học bài)
Ex:–> I will have a big exam tomorrow so I’ll be burning the midnight oil tonight.
- CAUGHT BETWEEN TWO STOOLS: when someone finds it difficult to choose between two alternatives (tiến thoái lưỡng nan)
- BREAK A LEG : good luck! ( thường dùng để chúc may mắn )
Ex:–> I have heard that you’r gonna take a test tomorrow, break a leg, dude!!! (sounds funny hah???)
- HIT THE BOOKS : to study (học)
Ex:–> I can’t go out tonight. I’ve got to hit the books. I’m having an exam tomorrow.
- WHEN PIGS FLY : something will never happen (điều vô tưởng, không thể xảy ra, nhớ là “pigs” đừng nhầm với con vật khác nhé)
- SCRATCH SOMEONE’S BACK: help someone out with the assumption that they will return the favor in the future (giúp đỡ người khác với hy vọng họ sẽ giúp lại mình)
Ex:–> “You scratch my back and I will scratch yours later,” the customer said when we talked about the new sales contact.
- HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD : do or say something exactly right (nói chính xác, làm chính xác)
Ex:–> Mike hit the nail on the head when he said most people can use a computer without knowing how it works.
- TAKE SOMEONE/SOMETHING FOR GRANTED: coi nhẹ
Ex:–> One of the problems with relationships is that after a while you begin to take each other for granted!!
- TAKE SOMETHING INTO ACCOUNT/ CONSIDERATION: to remember to consider something (tính đến cái gì, xem xét việc gì)
Ex:–> We will take your long year of service into account when we make our final decision.
- PUT SOMEONE/SOMETHING AT SOMEONE’S DISPOSAL: to make someone or something available to someone (có sẵn theo ý muốn của ai)
Ex:–> I’d be glad to help you if you need me. I put myself at your disposal.
- SPLITTING HEADACHE: a severe headache (đau đầu như búa bổ) (khi ra thi sẽ hỏi từ “Splitting”)
Ex:–> I’ve got a splitting headache. I’m going upstairs for a nap.
- ON THE HOUSE: không phải trả tiền
Ex:–> I went to a restaurant last night. I was the ten thousandth customer, so my dinner was on the house.
- HIT THE ROOF = GO THROUGH THE ROOF = HIT THE CEILING: to suddenly become angry (giận dữ)
Ex:–> I”m afraid he will hit the roof when he finds out our vacation is canceled
- MAKE SOMEONE’S BLOOD BOIL: làm ai sôi máu, giận dữ
- BRING DOWN THE HOUSE: làm cho cả khán phòng vỗ tay nhiệt liệt
Ex:–> G-Dragon brought the house down. He really brought down the house with his fantastic song.
- PAY THROUGH THE NOSE: to pay too much for something (trả giá quá đắt)
Ex:–> If you want a decent wine in a restaurant , you to have to pay through the nose for it.
- BY THE SKIN OF ONE’S TEETH: sát sao, rất sát
Ex:–> I got through calculus math by the skin of my teeth.
Ex:–> I got to the airport a few minutes late and missed the plane by the skin of my teeth.
- PULL SOMEONE’S LEG: chọc ai
Ex:–> You don’t mean that. You’re just pulling my leg.
- IT STRIKE SOMEBODY AS/THAT A STRANGE: lấy làm lạ
Ex:–> It strikes as a strange to me that he failed the exam because he is so smart and diligent a student.
- TAKE IT AMISS: to understand as wrong or insulting, or misunderstand (hiểu lầm)
Ex:–> Would you take it amiss if I told you I thought you look lovely? I was afraid you’d take it the wrong way.
- HIGH AND LOW = HERE AND THERE: everywhere
Ex:–> I have been searching high and low for the gift I bought for my girlfriend.
- THE MORE, THE MERRIER: càng đông càng vui
Ex:–> Can I bring some friends with me?Yeah sure, the more, the merrier.
- SPICK AND SPAN: ngăn nắp gọn gàng
- EVERY NOW AND THEN: sometimes
Ex:–> Every nowand then, I want to be alone.
- PART AND PARCEL: integral, crucial ( thiết yếu, quan trọng)
- GO TO ONE’S HEAD: khiến ai kiêu ngạo
Ex:–> Too much success will go to her head.
- ONCE IN A BLUE MOON: rất hiếm (rare)
Ex:–> Once in a blue moon, I stop thinking about her. If only she knew how much I loved her.
- FEW AND FAR BETWEEN : rare (hiếm gặp)
Ex:–> Go and tell her that you love her! That kind of girl is really few and far between
- ON THE SPOT:(1) immediately (ngay lập tức)
Ex:–> I expect you to be on the post when and where trouble arises
(2): in trouble; in a difficult situation (gặp rắc rối)
Ex:–> I hate to be on the spot when it’s not my fault
- ON THE VERGE OF = ON THE BRINK OF = IN THE EDGE OF: trên bờ vực (cẩn thận với giới từ “on” và “in” nhé!)
Ex:–> Unless we take measures to protect tigers, they will be on the verge of extinction. (lưu ý: take measures: đưa ra biện pháp)
- IT NEVER RAINS BUT IT POURS: good or bad things do not just happen a few at a time, but in large numbers all at once (họa vô đơn chí)
Ex:–> First of allit was the car breaking down, then the fire in the kitchen and now Mike’saccident
- BE ON THE WAGON: kiêng rượu
Ex:–> Bob’s old drinking buddies complained that he was no fun when he went on the wagon
- LED SOMEBODY BY THE NOSE: to control someone and make them do exactly what you want them to do (nắm đầu, dắt mũi ai)
Ex:–> They simply didn’t know what they were doing and they were led by the nose by a manipulative government
- AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR: vào phút chót
Ex:–> She always turned her term paper in at the eleventh hour.
- SELL/GO LIKE HOT CAKES: bán đắt như tôn tươi
Ex:–> The book has only just been published andcopies are already selling like hot cakes in both Britain and America.
- FIND FAULT WITH: chỉ trích, kiếm chuyện, bắt lỗi
Ex:–> It is very easy to find fault with the work others.
- OFF AND ON/ ON AND OFF: không đều đặn, thỉnh thoảng
Ex:–> We don’t often go there- just off and on.
- MAKE BELIEVE: giả bộ, giả vờ
Ex:–> I tried to make believe she was happy, but knew deep down it was not true.
- MAKE GOOD TIME: di chuyển nhanh, đi nhanh.
Ex:–> We made good time and were at the hotel by lunch time.
- LOOK DAGGERS AT SOMEONE: giận giữ nhìn ai đó
Ex:–> Their relationship is not free and easy but at least he is no longer looking daggers at her.
- BE OUT OF THE QUESTION: không thể được
Ex:–> You cannot get married until you are 18, it’s out of the question.
- ALL AT ONCE = suddenly: bất thình lình
Ex:–> All at once, there was a loud banging on the door.
- BLOW ONE’S TRUMPET: bốc phét, khoác lác
Ex:–> Anyone will tell you she’s one of the best journalist we’ve got, although she’d never blow her trumpet.
- SLEEP ON IT: suy nghĩ thêm về điều gì đó.
Ex:–> You don’t have to give me your decision now. Sleep on it, and let me know tomorrow.
- FIGHT TOOTH AND CLAW/NAIL: đánh nhau dữ dội, cấu xé nhau
Ex:–> We fought tooth and claw to retain our share of business.
- PLAY TRICKS/JOKES ON: chọc phá, trêu ghẹo, chơi khăm
Ex:–> The kids are always play jokes on their teachers.
- DOWN THE DRAIN: đổ sông đổ biển (công sức, tiền bạc)
Ex:–> It’s just money down the drain.
- SMELL A RAT: hoài nghi, linh cảm chuyện không ổn
Ex:–> The minute I came in, I smelled a rat.
- THE LAST STRAW: giọt nước tràn ly
Ex:–> When she showed up late a third time, that was the last straw. We had to fire her.
- GET THE HAND OF SOMETHING: nắm bắt được, sử dụng được
Ex:–> After three weeks of using this computer, I think I’ve finally got the hand of it.
- HARD OF HEARING: lãng tai, nặng tai
Ex:–> Tom is hard of hearing. Therefore, we have to speak loudly so that he can hear us.
- KEEP AN EYE ON: coi chừng, ngó chừng
Ex:–> Please keep an eye on my baby while I’m out for a while.
- HAVE A BEE IN ONE’S BONNET (ABOUT SOMETHING): đặt nặng chuyện gì, chấp nhất chuyện gì
Ex:–> She has a bee in her bonnet about going to America.
- GET/HAVE COLD FEET: mất hết can đảm, chùn bước
Ex:–> I’m worried my members in this page may be getting cold feet about the university entrance exam. Therefore, I will try my best to help them overcome this severe exam. ^O^ *tặng các Fans dethithu.net*
- ON SECOND THOUGHTS: suy nghĩ kĩ
Ex:–> On second thoughts, it was a dumb movie.
- IN VAIN: uổng công, vô ích
Ex:–> Government agents tried in vain kidnap him.
- CHIP IN: khuyên góp, góp tiền
Ex:–> If everyone chips in, we will be able to buy her a nice present.
- OFF ONE’S HEAD: điên, loạn trí
Ex:–> The old man has been off his head for at least a year.
- RUN AN ERRAND: làm việc vặt
Ex:–> I’ve got to run an errand. I’ll be back in a minute.
- JUMP THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS: vượt đèn đỏ
Ex:–> They ignore people who jumps the traffic lights.
- FLY OFF THE HANDLE: dễ nổi giận, phát cáu
Ex:–> No one will fly off the handle for no reason.
- THE APPLE OF ONE’S EYES: đồ quý giá của ai
Ex:–> You are the apple of my eyes ^O^
- BUCKET DOWN: mưa xối xả, mưa to
Ex:–> It’s been bucketing down all day.
- CLOSE SHAVE = NARROW ESCAPE: thoát chết trong gang tấc
Ex:–> Phew, that was a close shave. I was so lucky.
- DROP A BRICK : lỡ lời, lỡ miệng
Ex:–> I dropped a brick when talking with my best friend, and now she doesn’t want to talk to me.
- GET BUTTERFLIES IN ONE’S STOMACH: cảm thấy bồn chồn
Ex:–> I always get butterflies in my stomach when it comes to taking test
- OFF THE RECORD: không chính thức, không được công bố
Ex:–> What the president said is not to be printed. It’s off the record
- ONE’S CUP OF TEA: thứ mà ta thích
Ex:–> SNSD is my cup of tea. They are so beautiful and talented. Especially Seohyun, she looks so cute
- CUT IT FINE: đến sát giờ
Ex:–> Only allowing half an hour to get from the station to the airport is cutting it fine, isn’t it?
- GOLDEN HANDSHAKE: món tiền hậu hĩnh dành cho người sắp nghỉ việc
Ex:–> The manager got early retirement and a 600,000$ golden handshake when the company was restructed.
- PUT ON AN ACT: giả bộ, làm bộ
Ex:–> We’ve known you are a good swimmer – stop putting on an act.
- COME TO LIGHT: được biết đến, được phát hiện, được đưa ra ánh sáng.
Ex:–> Four soldiers have faced charges since the scandal came to light last fall
- TAKE THINGS TO PIECES: tháo ra từng mảnh
Ex:–> Men like to take things to pieces and put them together.
- PUT ONE’S FOOT IN IT: gây nhầm lẫn, bối rối, phạm một sai lầm gây bối rối
Ex:–> I really put my foot in it when I asked her about her job. I didn’t know she’d just been fired.
- PULL ONE’S WEIGHT: nỗ lực, làm tròn trách nhiệm
Ex:–> The rest of the team complained that Sarah wasn’t pulling her weight.
- MAKE ENDS MEET: xoay sở để kiếm sống
Ex:–> I have to work at two jobs to make ends meet.
- GET THE HOLD OF THE WRONG END OF THE STICK: hiểu nhầm ai đó
Ex:–> I think I must explain to her that she got hold of the wrong end of the stick again.
- CUT AND DRIED: cuối cùng, không thể thay đổi, rõ ràng, dễ hiểu
Ex:–> Although a deal has been agreed, it is not yet cut-and-dried.
Ex:–> The human rights issue is by no means cut-and-dried.
- STAY/KEEP ON ONE’S TOE: cảnh giác, thận trọng
Ex:–> We had better keep on our toes while we’re walking along the dark portions of this street.
- SEE EYE TO EYE: đồng tình
Ex:–> I’m glad that they see eye to eye on the matter of the conference location.
- HAVE IN MIND: đang suy tính, cân nhắc
Ex:–> I don’t want to see a movie now, I have in mind going to the park.
- A LOST CAUSE: hết hy vọng, không thay đổi được gì
Ex:–> It seems that Charles will give it up. I suppose he is a lost cause.
- TO BE BOUND TO: chắc chắn
Ex:–> You’re bound to be late if you don’t hurry.
- AT HEART: thực chất, cơ bản (basically, fundamentally)
Ex:–> James sometimes seems quite unfriendly but at heart he’s a good person.
- TO KNOW BY SIGHT: nhận ra (recognize)
Ex:–> The woman said that she would know the thief by sight if she ever saw him again.
- NOW AND THEN = NOW AND AGAIN = AT TIMES = FROM TIME TO TIME = OFF AND ON = ONCE IN A WHILE = EVERY SO OFTEN : sometimes (thỉnh thoảng, không thường xuyên)
- TO TAKE PAINS: làm việc cẩn thận và tận tâm
Ex:–> She takes pains to do everything well.
- TO MAKE DO: xoay sở, đương đầu (to manage, to cope)
Ex:–> During difficult economic times, many people have to make do with less.
- CLOSE CALL = CLOSE SHAVE = NARROW ESCAPE: thoát được nguy hiểm trong gang tấc, mém chết!
- SELL SOMEONE SHORT: đánh giá thấp
- FACE THE MUSIC: chịu trận
Ex:–> Mary broke a dining-room window and had to face the music when her father got home.
- LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG: to reveal a secret or a surprise by accident ( để lộ bí mật)
Ex:–> It’s asecret. Try not to let the cat out of the bag.
- ON PROBATION: trong thời gian quản chế
Ex:–> While Anne was on probation, she reported to the police regularly.
Ex:–> John was on probation for a year.